Unreal Engine(update 4.17) has updated its service with the latest addition of Spectator screen and ARKit support. The new update will make the AR and VR lover happy. The addition of spectator screen for PC VR apps is similar to the social screen feature in the case of PlayStation VR.
The Spectator screen feature will allow people watching other play in VR. The viewers will be able to see what the actual person who is playing the game is viewing that too on a 2D display. They also interact within an experience where appropriate. The company has also added several new VR modes camera preview. You can put a virtual camera in place and bring the screen to showcase what it captures and then you can move it around. The company has also fixed several VR bugs from the previous version.
The recent update also adds experimental support for the Apple ARKit. The ARKit is supposed to be introduced in the upcoming version of iOS. Now, all the Unreal Engine game developers can get their hands on the latest addition of ARKit support.
Some of the new features added in the latest updates are-
- Many New tools, workflow enhancements, and performance optimizations are added which will make it easier than ever to develop and ship your project.
- In the new update, The new Composure compositing system and Image Plate plugin are added which will provide a powerful and flexible means of combining content rendered in real time with live action footage.
- Improvements to Sequencer continue to refine the workflow for creating cinematics.
- The new Asset Management Framework is also added.
- There are now hotkeys to step to next/previous shot
This will prompt the developers to come with the new ideas and implement. The addition of AR and VR support by Unreal Engine clearly indicates that these two technologies hold the key in future especially in the gaming industry.
4.17 Preview | Feature Highlight | Unreal Engine:
Video Source: Unreal Engine