Rift matching Vive's pace: reveals steam hardware survey

Feb. 4, 2018, 2:53 a.m. By: Pranjal Kumar

Steam Hardware Rift and Vive

The first survey conducted by Steam in 2018 reveals that Oculus Rift is matching the pace of HTC Vive. The team officials said that there is no clear winner in the case as both the company nearly shares equally portion of the market.

HTC Vive as continues its aggressive strategies to push in the VR field. This month sees HTC Vive as 46.96 % of the overall usage. The stats show that the company has suffered a decrease of 0.3% from the last months 47.26%. Steams said that HTC Vive is still the most used headset but the trends are indicating that Rift is catching up with its competitors.

On the other hand, Oculus Rift shares 46.09% of the overall usage. The company suffers a mere decrease of 0.05% from December. Rift did take the top spot for the first time in December, last year.

Both the companies have suffered the loss in the previous month. The reason behind this is the increase in popularity of other headsets like Microsoft’s Windows Mixed Reality headset. Microsoft’s headset has seen a significant growth of 0.92% previous month (It grew from 4.35% to 5.17%).

But, these data should not be misinterpreted as which headset was sold more. This is an optional survey as required headset to be plugged into Steam when it takes place to count. So, clearly, these data may not reflect the true picture.

The new year has started as all the company wants to make their presence felt this year. HTC Vive is looking to launch its upgraded version of Vive (to be called as Vive Pro). They plan to release a single headset in next two months and then as a full package with new trackers later in the year.

It seems like all the companies are getting ready to make their mark this year. So, wait for some surprises!!!

More Information: Steam Hardware & Software Survey: January 2018